Monday, January 22, 2007

Anniversary

Today is my anniversary. It's been two whole years since the girl brought me home to live with her. On January 22, 2005 I had my 5 minutes of fame. I was on a TV show called Pets on Parade. That was kind of fun, but pretty scary at the same time. I had to get groomed and then was surrounded by all sorts of people that made up nice things about me, just so somebody would want to take me home.

After the show was over, I had to go back to my cage at the humane society and wait for all the people who wanted to adopt me. Nobody showed up. How could that be? I was the most handsome dog on the show that day. Finally, one person came. It was the girl. She thought I was adorable and wanted to play with me.

I was taken to the play area with the girl. I didn't like her at first. She smelled like another dog. She patted the ground near her until I couldn't resist any further and attacked her hand. She was quick. She pulled it away before I could sink my teeth into her, then she found my sweet spot where I like to be rubbed. What a tricky girl. I liked her so much I peed on her foot. She must not have liked that, because then she got up and left and I was put back in my cage. I hoped that somebody else saw me on TV and wanted a famous dog. Nobody else came.

After what seemed like a really long time, the girl came back. She came back! She brought the other dog that I smelled earlier. All of us went into a big grassy area, but BLU and I didn't really like each other. We were both really nervous and scared. We didn't fight, but we kept our distance. Despite that, the girl decided that we would eventually get along, and decided to take me home.

It turns out that she didn't even see me on TV, and didn't know all the nice lies they told about me. She picked me because she thought it would look cute when she walked both me and BLU at the same time. Sometimes the girl does things for completely stupid reasons, but they still turn out fine.

All I can say is that I'm glad that the humane society has low standards and let the girl take me home - stupid reason or not. She had tried to adopt two other dogs before me from various rescue groups. Both turned her down and called her an "unfit pet owner" because she was single, worked full time, and sometimes has to travel for work. Can you believe it?

I know I sometimes complain about the girl because she works too long, and forgets to change light bulbs, doesn't take me on a walk as often as I want to go, and won't let me chew toilet paper or pee in the house. But I also know how much she loves me and will do just about anything to make sure that I am safe, happy, and have everything that I need (and some things that I want). I'm really happy here and even like having BLU as a big sis. I think I'll make a special present just for the girl to thank her for adopting me and wish her a happy anniversary.
Comet

5 comments:

Sunshade said...

Ohhh Comet, your post made me smile!! Your bond with your girl, nothing can compare with that. You know, that peeing on her foot during first meeting probably got you the ticket to your forever home LOL.

Love nibbles,
Miss Sunshade

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Maybe you should pee on your girl's foot to show her how much you love her and that you remember your first meeting.

Hana said...

Happy Gotcha Day, COMET! I wonder what kind of special present you're gonna make for your girl.

Joe Stains said...

what a great post! mom watches pets on parade and grandpa always tells us if we are not good that he is going to put us on that show! can you believe him!

we think you have a GREAT lady!

Fu Fu said...

Happy Anniversary Comet. So glad that you found a great home with your girl now.

~ fufu